Developers have almost all moved to LibreOffice, the spiritual successor to OpenOffice. But OpenOffice continues to be operated as its own program but OpenOffice continues to be operated as its own project, seeing little development and only drawing potential LibreOffice users to a defunct piece of software.
Why do both exist?
Yes, there are two big open-source office suites.
Sun controlled the OpenOffice.org project, and Oracle acquired control of it when it purchased Sun back in 2010.
Oracle didn’t seem very interested in OpenOffice.org, and the community of volunteers developing it formed The Document Foundation back in 2010. They called on Oracle to participate and donate the OpenOffice.org name and brand to the community.
Oracle never did, and the resulting forked office suite has been named LibreOffice since then. Linux distributions almost immediately jumped on board, swapping out OpenOffice for LibreOffice.
In 2011, Oracle laid off OpenOffice’s paid developers and donated the OpenOffice software to the Apache Foundation, rather than The Document Foundation. It’s remained there since, a project in slow but steady decline.
Development is just slower
Aside from more frequent releases over at LibreOffice, the LibreOffice project has over 250 developers and support from multiple companies. Only sixteen developers have contributed to OpenOffice in the last year. Developers working for IBM were responsible for 60 percent of the changes in OpenOffice, and IBM has been de-emphasizing this work for some time. It’s clear which project is more active and lively.
Mostly geeks have heard of LibreOffice
If you’re using Linux, you almost certainly have LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice. Your Linux distribution and its package manager made that decision for you so you don’t have to pay attention to the squabbling between projects.
But many people, Windows users especially, have never heard of LibreOffice. They might want a free software office suite, search for OpenOffice, and install it. They’ll find an increasingly out-of-date, stagnant project. They won’t get the latest office suite so many free software developers have worked on. They may shrug off OpenOffice and not be impressed with free software in general.
Apache should do the right thing and pack up shop. LibreOffice is ahead and developers have already voted with their feet by switching over. OpenOffice hasn’t built up an active developer community, it’s only in decline.
There’s no reason people should be using OpenOffice instead of LibreOffice.
The Money Making Business end ‘Trading Strategy’
Published: April 7, 2019, 09:31 | No Comments on Why you should ditch OpenOffice and use the free LibreOffice suite
Category: NEWS, On-line Solutions
Your Future Has Never Looked Better!
Freedom Is Only 1 Click Away!
Note: This is a highly recommended route to raise $500 ($350 minimum) for your brokers account
Welcome To Road To Freedom
Our Unique Fully Automated Crowd Funding System
- Pays You At Every Step On Autopilot.
- Our System Is Based On Having 2 Friends With You On Every Step.
- There Are Only 30 Steps To Complete With Total Donations Received Of $98,000.
- Also Available Is Our Sponsor Bonus Of $2000.
All The Hard Work Is Done For You.
We Even Have Our Unique 60 Day Money Back Guarantee.
Our Program Runs On The Very Unique Circle Of Wealth System.
When A Member Joins they are added to our ever growing Circle Of Members, who help each other to earn worldwide.
So You Can Just Join & Earn On The Road To Freedom In 2019.
RTF have introduced additional multiple income streams within their site, now you can earn more and directly credit your internal balance to purchase positions, paid referrals or withdraw
- Over 14,000 Members.
- Over $27,000 Paid Out In Earnings.
- This Is Only The Beginning…
- Month 2 Is Very Exciting With Everything Planned.
- Traffic Exchange.
- Business Directory.
- Paid To Click Ads.
- Solo Ads.
- Will All Be Operational Over The Next Week.
- Allowing Members To Advertise & Get Paid To Click Ads As Well.
- We Have Our Marketing Tool Box Coming With Some Fantastic New Features
- To Add To Our Already Amazing List Of Features.
- Our target Is to hit 25,000 ‘Active Members’ over the next month to ensure our long term sustainability.
- Make sure to share your Referral Link with friends as this Is the program not to miss out on this year.
Project Africa Is Getting Some Great Interest.
- We Will Be Helping 100,000’s Of People This Year Escape Poverty.
- Lots More Marketing Materials, Promo & How To Videos, PDF Presentation.
- Even Live Weekly Webinars With The RTF2019 Admin Team.
- New Payment Options.
- And Lots More…..
Free To Earn With Our ”Pay It Forward’ (PIF) system
Our Members Come First
Our Admin Team Has Over 25 Years Exp.
Paid Within 24 hours Mon-Fri.
60 Day Money Back Guarantee
- Free To Join Worldwide.
- Free To Earn With Our PIF System.
- Only Program Fully Automated Using Bot Technology.
- We Have Automated Purchasing Daily.
- We Have Automated Upgrades.
- We Have Automated Referrals.
- No Need To Sponsor People As We Get Them For You.
- Affordable Positions At Only $0.20 cents.
Published: April 6, 2019, 02:09 | No Comments on Our Unique Fully Automated Crowd Funding System
Category: Finance, Funding, NEWS